BSNL allows International Roaming for Voice Calling along with Data Roaming facility across the world. International Roaming in Foreign operator's mobile network requires a genuine compatible Mobile Handset working in frequency of that mobile operator bands used by the networks in the new country visited.
Activation Procedure for BSNL GSM Mobile International Roaming Option in SIM Card
- An application should submit along with 2 photos & passport copy for International Roaming to BSNL authorities, he/she will be charged Rs. 5000 as security deposit which was refundable and Rs. 99 as monthly rent for international roaming facility in addition to the normal plan charges and usage, after payment of deposit he/she will be provided the International Roaming facility will be provided to the customers of BSNL Postpaid Mobile Plan Services.
- Before you leave, check that your roaming function has been activated or not by simply calling BSNL 24 hours customer service helpline 18001801503.
- After the arrival into foreign country insert the BSNL International Roaming SIM card in the mobile handset, switch on the handset.
- Go to Menu & click on CellOne and select as International.
- By selecting this you will get a message - "Cellone and Partner Network".
- Select the option Cellone then you will get the message "Cellone International Selected"
- If not works then, please select the network manually by selecting Setting then Network in your phone).
- Mobile facility would be available through this option only while you are abroad.
- While within India, keep this setting to National.(Go to Menu, Select CellOne or BSNL Mobile and then select as National)
- Roaming in Foreign operator's mobile network requires a compatible Handset which is capable of working in frequency bands used by the networks in the country visited.
All the Voice Calls including Customer Care are chargeable while the customer in overseas. The charges are completely operator dependent and are charged for 60 second pulse and SMS is charged for 160 characters for 1 outgoing SMS after that it will treats as 2 SMS
Direct GPRS International Roaming has been launched by BSNL Commercially as on 21.06.2011:- 131 foreign operators in 83 countries, The Charges for GPRS/Data usage are charged in terms of volume of data sent or received, these charges are variable & completely dependent on foreign operators, the local plans for GPRS/Blackberry which you have selected already are not valid in overseas.
Some Useful Tips for BSNL GSM Mobile International Roaming facility
- If you encounter any difficulties while roaming abroad, you can book your complaint at www.ir.bsnl.co.in or contact BSNL via phone with calling to +919434024365.
- Check the Handset compatibility with Network frequency (GSM MHz 850/900/1800/1900) before travelling outside India and make sure that your handset will work in the country you are traveling to Japan & Korea support 3G Hand Set, USA & Canada supports 1900 MHz Hand Set.
- To call back home dial the number with “+91”.
- Certain GPRS based applications viz. GPS, Facebook, Blackberry messenger or any other instant messaging application etc. continuously consume data bandwidth leading to high Data-Roaming charges even when you are not using the same. This is applicable to smart phones and high-end GPRS capable handsets which poll (communicate with) the home network continuously.
- BSNL advices you to take an informed decision to keep these applications switched-on, while you are overseas. For any assistance in the matter, please call our customer helpline.
- Loss/Theft of SIM card or mobile phone while overseas should be reported to BSNL immediately at 18001801503. In case the theft is not reported immediately all usage till the time of reporting will be payable by the GSM Mobile Customer Only.